The end of 2012 is finally here. Before we welcome 2013, I need to pause and reflect on some of the events that made us break out the pom poms for Angel in 2012. It means a lot to me to be able to share them all with you. Here you go:
1. We were able to get Angel ten hours of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) and additional speech therapy outside of school. This came after some resistance from out school district but they finally did right by him.
2. We made it through the “Turning 5″ process in one piece. After countless meetings, phone calls, open houses, tours, applications, and a CBST deferral, Angel was approved to attend a non-public school.
3. Angel graduated from preschool.
4. Angel had a fun summer.
5. Angel celebrated his fifth birthday.
6. Angel started kindergarten at a great school.
7. Angel went to see his first live Broadway performance of The Lion King. He loved it.
8. Angel lost his first tooth. We have no idea where it is but it meant that he is becoming a big boy.
9. Angel can use the potty for number 1 without prompting or reinforcers. Number 2 is a work in process.
10. Angel can use words like “please,” “help me,” and some short sentences in context.
I look forward to an even longer list as we go through 2013. Happy New Year!
What made you say YAY! in 2012? Please share. I look forward to hearing from you.
Before you go, check out this wonderful photo of Angel that I submitted to Autism Shines.